POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Asteroid : Re: Asteroid Server Time
5 Oct 2024 03:23:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Asteroid
From: Ben Birdsey
Date: 25 Jan 1999 15:53:57
Message: <36ACDB1A.5A936E38@unlgrad1.unl.edu>
That's a really amazing asteroid!  It may be the best CG asteroid I've ever
seen (well, outside Armageddon...)

	A couple of comments.

	From pictures I've seen of large asteroids, the craters seem to be filled up.
Probably with dust and leftover bits from collisions with other asteroids.  I
mean the gravity's tiny, but not totally gone.

	Craters on real asteroids might look a little eroded since most impacts would
be with asteroids that are really tiny.  They would chip away at the landscape
and create more dust to fill the craters!

	I recently read an article in Nature which was about what a massive impact
would do to an asteroid (If I remember right, they were simulating a rock the
size of a house impacting at 20,000 mph).  Well, the bottom line was this.  It
looks like any impact that could make a crater of any size (>0.25 the size of
the asteroid) would totally shatter it!  But there is that moon of Jupiter or
Saturn with a crater that makes it look like the death star!

	Anyway, just tell everyone it's artistic license.

	In Him,
	Ben Birdsey